Granite State Communications (GSC) is currently seeking a Field Services Network Technician to join our team in Weare, New Hampshire.
The Field Services Network Technician – installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains telecommunications products and equipment that GSC sells and leases (i.e. IP phones, PBX, Centrex Systems, and/or other business systems). In addition, they perform work associated with splicing and maintaining outside plant facilities and equipment. Field Service Network Technicians are responsible for installations, splices, repairs, and maintenance of aerial, buried, and/or underground fiber optic and copper cables.
As a Field Service Network Technician, you will have direct, face-to-face contact with our customers and are expected to be proactive with the sales of GSC services and products. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video, Internet, and high speed DSL/Fiber networks. Individuals in this roll will exceed customer expectations by performing extraordinary customer service, identifying customer needs, and providing them with solutions. Individuals will also understand how to use and demonstrate GSC products and seeks sales opportunities while educating the customer. Products & services include: Local Service, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes), Voice Mail, Audio and/or IP Video and Non-regulated CPE.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, troubleshoots, tests, splices, repairs, and maintains telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other GSC products & services for new and existing customers. Configures, maintains, and repairs Key Systems, PBX, Centrex Systems, and other business systems such as fiber terminals.
- Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Performs acceptance tests on newly constructed copper/fiber facilities.
- Responds to dispatched service repairs and provides troubleshooting techniques and modifications to resolve possible network issues for our customer satisfaction.
- Provides high level support to engineering for enhancing and maintaining the GSC record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells GSC products and services to customers.
- May need to locate, identify and mark GSC underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged.
- May be responsible for performing varied or additional duties to meet demands of GSC which may include duties of other Field Services Technician positions.
- Associate degree with 2+ years’ basic technical telecommunications experience -OR- 4+ years’ technical experience with telecommunications products and/or services.
- 6+ months of basic fiber optic and/or copper cable splicing and repair, installation and repair or switch training.
- Must be knowledgeable of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of telecommunications.
- Requires an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Bonding & Grounding, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video Installation, Inventory Systems, Battery Maintenance, IP phones, PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and Video.
- Network Certification’s (i.e. CCNA, JNCIE, and CompTIA).
- Ability to trouble shoot utilizing Wireshark (WCNA).
- Experience with VoIP installation and repair is desired.
- Experience with IPTV installation and repair is desired.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and etc.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Requires demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Able to lift up to 100 pounds
- Able to climbs poles and ladders, enter buildings, crawl spaces, trenches or manholes to place materials.
- Performs Standby Duty and weekend work on a scheduled rotation.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and able to obtain a CDL.
- Must pass all required DOT pre-employment testing and physical examination.